The building served as the Town Hall from 1907 to 1964 at which point council officers were moved to their present location in the Cathedral Avenue Civic Centre. For the next 15 years the empty hall served as a venue for a variety of community functions including dances, concerts, theatre and films, civic events and a home of the Tourist Bureau. Demands for inner city parking led to the threat of demolition in the early 1980′s. A public campaign called FROTH (Friends of Old Town Hall) fought to save the building from becoming a car park. This very public campaign led to the renovation and conservation of the old town hall into Geraldton Art Gallery, which opened in August 1984.
During conversion, what was the mezzanine floor became a complete second floor providing extra space for potential exhibitions spaces available to the new gallery. Renovations were carried out by the Geraldton Building Company (GBC). Facilities such as air conditioning with temperature and humidity controls, security systems and a quality hanging system were features that made the Geraldton Art Gallery one of the first ‘A’ class regional galleries in Australia, it remains that today. In 1997 the word Regional was inserted into the title to reflect the broader range of the gallery’s services. In 1988 the Town of Geraldton was declared a City.
The History of the Geraldton Town Hall (Vimeo Video) from ABC Open Mid West WA.